10 things you should know about water restrictions
Despite some much needed rain over the past few weeks, the Roodefontein dam is currently still less than 60% full which means Stage 1 Water Restrictions are still in place.
Here are 10 things you should know about Stage 1 Water Restrictions:
- Watering of gardens may only be undertaken for two hours per day between 18:00–20:00, two days per week.
- A fine in terms of Section 75A of the Systems Act, being a 50% penalty on tariffs for monthly consumption in excess of 20 kilolitres per month per household connection.
- At sports fields only the watering of cricket pitches, golf course greens and bowling greens is permitted for two hours per day, twice per week, unless own source of water is used.
- No hosing of roofs and driveways and no washing of vehicles with a garden hose will be permitted.
- The restriction referred to in 1.1.4 above is not applicable to any bona fide and full-time commercial enterprises whose business it is to wash cars.
- The municipality must conduct an effective awareness and education campaign.
- Water restrictions become effective immediately after being advertised in the media, and in public places.
- Consumers will be closely monitored and those that do not heed the restrictions identified.
- A service must be available where contraventions can be reported and followed up immediately by the relevant department and/or Law Enforcement.
- Any person who contravenes these restrictions is guilty of an offence and is, upon conviction, liable to a fine as published in the annual tariffs list.
For further information, contact Bitou Municipality on 044 501 3174/5 or after hours on 086 124 8686.