The world’s first free-roaming, multi-species primate sanctuary. Covering an area of 12 hectares of indigenous forest and providing ex-captive primates a healthier, more natural lifestyle. Home to over 550 primates including gibbons, howler monkeys, vervet monkeys, langurs, sakis, capuchins, squirrel monkeys, spider monkeys, ring-tailed lemurs and the critically endangered black and white ruffed lemurs. An Eco-Tourism experience that will stay with you a lifetime.
The largest single span free-flight aviary in the world, an experience you will find nowhere else. Encompassing an area of 2.3 hectares of forest and waterways with 1.2km of walkways, enjoy the thrill of spotting an abundance of birds flying free and living natural lives at your own pace. A home to over 3500 birds of some 200 species of previously caged birds which include several species of parrot, turaco, waterfowl, finches, crane, hornbill and many more.
At Jukani the enclosures were built specifically to suit the animal’s needs and behavior patterns. The animals have been rescued from different situations. It is a forever home for Apex predators such as the Big cats – Lions, Tigers, Jaguars and Leopards as well the sometimes-misunderstood predators like the Spotted Hyena.
On your 1 hour and 20-minute walking tour with one of our entertaining and knowledgeable guides, you’ll find smaller predators such as Pumas, Cheetahs, Honey Badger, Black Backed Jackal, Caracals, Serval as well as some other wildlife species like Zebra and Springbok. Currently 16 species are represented at the Sanctuary.
- Monkeyland and Birds of Eden open from 08h30 and last tours or entrance is at 17h00, Jukani’s First tour is at 09:00 and the last tour departs strictly at 16:00
- The Sanctuaries are open every day of the year including all public and religious holidays
- Your ticket is valid for 1 year as of the date of purchase if not redeemed = (stamped for entrance)
- For example, should you buy a ticket for 2 or more sanctuaries, you may visit one of the sanctuaries on the day (or then a later day) and have a whole year to visit the other(s)
- Entrance to each individual sanctuary is a day rate, which means you can spend the whole day at the sanctuary once your entrance has been redeemed (ticket stamped) and go on as many tours as you like
- Persons with disabilities do not pay an entrance fee
- We offer affordable annual sanctuary memberships
- The sanctuary is wheelchair accessible
- Child rates are determined for children between and including the ages of 3 to 12 years old – Children under 3 enter free of charge.
- All the Sanctuaries are no touch (Hands off) facility – interaction is not allowed
- All the sanctuaries have curio stores and restaurant facilities
- Tours are conducted in English or if requested – Afrikaans – German, French and Spanish tours available at Monkeyland by prior arrangement
- There is a tour operator lounge at Monkeyland for tour guides at Monkeyland and Birds of Eden.
- Dress appropriately for the weather on the day and wear comfortable walking shoes. Bring along a hat, water sunscreen as you will be outdoors during your time in the sanctuary. We do sell disposable ponchos, should you not have packed a raincoat. All tours are on foot with a guide. At Birds of Eden you walk through the aviary on your own, but should you require a guide – please ask the receptionists to arrange this facility for you.
- The Sanctuaries are all-weather facilities and suitable for all age groups.