Plett – what’s open & what’s not
Plett’s beaches have been closed this December holiday season, but the town is open for so much more… here’s a list of what’s open and what’s not… and we’re updating the list constantly so keep checking back!
- Nature reserves: CapeNature reserves 044 533 2125 (Robberg) and Keurbooms River with certain restrictions – see below.
- Keurbooms river north of the N2 bridge is open to individuals who have a valid fishing license. Access is only through CapeNature slipway. No recreational activity is allowed on any waterway except fishing with an appropriate license and/or permits for each person.
- SANParks National Parks 044 531 6700 (Garden Route National Park: Tsitsikamma, Harkerville, Storms River, Nature’s Valley) for hiking and walking. No recreational activity is allowed on any waterway except fishing with an appropriate license and/or permits for each person.
- Watersports: scuba diving (Pro Dive), swimming with seals (Offshore Adventures), marine safaris (Ocean Blue Adventures and Ocean Safaris), Kayak & Lilo Adventure (Untouched Adventures), Frendz Fishing Charters, Dolphin Adventures sea kayaking.
- Water parks: Adventureland, Wild Waters Fun Park
- Kayaking/paddling/canoeing: Ocean kayaking (Dolphin Adventures); PaddlePlett daily guided sea kayak trips from Hobie Beach.
- Fishing with a permit or fishing licenses (boat and shore-based): Coastal and CapeNature launch sites are open.
- In terms of NCCF supplementary instruction 24 paragraph 8.4.11, fishing on beaches will be permitted with a permit during the times of 06:00 to 19:00.
- Each person must have a permit to fish.
- The moment it is determined to be a gathering on the beach and not fishing, the group must be warned to disperse.
READ THE LETTER FROM CAPENATURE HERE
- Game Reserves: Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve and Giraffe View
- Wildlife sanctuaries: Tenikwa, Monkeyland, Birds of Eden, Jukani, Knysna Elephant Park, Raptor Rescue Plett, Lawnwood Snake Sanctuary, Elephant Sanctuary Plett.
- Horse riding: Hog Hollow Horse Trails
- Adventure & Adrenalin: Kloofing (Africanyon), Bungy Jumping (Face Adrenalin), Zip-lining (Tsitsikamma Canopy Tours, Tsitsikamma Falls Adventures, Knysna Zipline), Tsitsikamma Segway, Blackwater Tubing (Tube ‘n Axe), Lilo and Kayak tours (Untouched Adventures), Sky Diving (no beach landings), Ingwe Adventures.
- Hiking & walking: Nature’s Valley, Harkerville, Robberg Nature Reserve, Robberg Corridor at Cairnbrogie, Birds of Eden hike, Knysna Elephant Park hike, Tsitsikamma Woodcutters Trail, Garden of Eden, Covie Formosa Peak.
- Birding (Wittedrift Way – Bitouvlei Birding), Bhejane Adventures, CapeNature reserves and South African National Parks, Ian Pletzer guided bird tours.
- Mountain Biking – wherever there are public trails except where they cross beaches, Cairnbrogie Mountain Bike Park, Cycles in the Forest, Plett MTB Pass, Harkerville.
- Trail Running – wherever there are hikes & trails except where they cross beaches.
- Golf and Tennis: Plettenberg Bay Country Club, Goose Valley Golf Estate.
- Township tours – Qolweni Township tour (Ocean Blue).
- Food & Wine: Restaurants are open for food and non-alcoholic beverages. Wine farms are open for food and non-alcoholic beverages. Breweries, taverns, pubs, coffee shops and restaurants are open for food and non-alcoholic beverages. All within COVID-19 protocols.
- Shopping: Main Street, Market Square, Old Nick Village, Global Village, The Heath, Market on Main, Melville’s Corner, the Peppermill.
- Markets & Farm Stalls: Saturday Harkerville Market, Market on Main, Old Nick Wednesday Market, The Heath, Thyme & Again, Moss & Maple, Nature’s Way Farmstall, Bread ‘n Brew, Granny DeBee’s, and other pop-up holiday markets (refer to the events page).
- Arts and Culture: Mungo Mill Tour, Mohair Mill Shop, Muffin Bekker Art Studio // Goodman Gallery Pop-up // Jack Lugg Art Gallery, Aardmoeders landart at Kranshoek, Calling the Herd land art at Crossroads, Milkwood Art Gallery, Griqua Museum at Kranshoek.
For a full list of activities on the Plett Tourism website, click here – you will be able to check with the provider if they are open or able to provide their service under the current beach restrictions.
KNOW OF SOMETHING ELSE THAT’S OPEN?
If you know of something else that is open please send us details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add it to the list.
- Lagoons e.g. Piesang Rivery lagoon, Poortjies lagoon, Nature’s Valley (Groot River) lagoon and Salt River lagoon
- Waterways for all recreational activities except fishing with a valid fishing permit
- Picnic areas on rivers
- Public Parks